(866) 697-1832 Se Habla Español

Do I need a Re-entry Permit?

Re-entry permits are commonly obtained by U.S. permanent residents (“green card” holders) who intend to remain outside the United States for a period of more than one year but no longer than two years and who do not intend to abandon their residence in the United States. The re-entry permit serves as proof of the holder’s intent to return to the United States after a temporary absence from the United States. The re-entry permit is used in connection with a valid passport or green card to re-enter the United Sates after an extended stay abroad. Re-entry permits are generally issued for a one (1) to two (2) year period and must be applied for from within the United States. Some common reason for green card holders to obtain re-entry permits are:

1. Business or employment abroad
2. Long-term vacation abroad
3. Medical reasons
4. Death or illness in the family
5. In lieu of a passport for a person that is stateless
6. Any other bona fide reason

When issuing a re-entry permit USCIS will consider the countries that will be visited, prior issuance of re-entry permits, the temporary or permanent nature of the intended absence from the United States, business or employment abroad and any other relevant factors. It is best to obtain a re-entry permit if you anticipate being outside the United States for an extended period of time for any valid reason. Unfortunately, not all future possibilities can be accounted for. Although a re-entry permit may be sent to a consulate or embassy abroad for pick-up, it must be applied for from within the United States. If you are a U.S. permanent resident and have questions about obtaining a re-entry permit, action must be taken before you leave the United States. Contact Mr. Richards for a free assessment to determine if a re-entry permit is necessary in your situation.

Contact Us Today

Telephone: (800) 459-0270 Email: info@rjimmigrationlaw.com