How do I obtain a social security number while on a TN?
Canadian and Mexican citizens that have approved TN visas are able to obtain a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN). You should wait at least 10 days after approval of your TN visa before applying for a SSN. The following link explains how to obtain a social security number: SSN Foreign National
Where do I get my social security number on a TN?
After you have been approved for your TN visa, you are able to go to any Social Security Office to apply for your social security number. Upon presentation of the proper supporting documents, your social security card will be mailed directly to you.
What do I need to get my social security number on a TN?
You need proof of your identity and authorization to work in the United States. In general you need:
- Completed Social Security Card Form (Form SS-5)
- Unexpired foreign passport.
- The admission stamp in your passport showing the validity dates of your TN visa.
- A copy of your Form I-94 showing your valid TN visa.
Do I need my social security number before I start working on my TN?
- A copy of your permanent resident card; OR
- A copy of your Employment Authorization Document; OR
- A copy of your foreign passport and Form I-94.
* A social security card is not required for Form I-9 compliance. You can commence work with any of the above listed documents.