How do you renew a TN Visa? A TN visa has an initial validity from 1 day up to 3 years. Although a TN visa is a non-immigrant visa, there is no limit on the number of renewals that can be obtained. A TN visa renewal can be renewed as long as the U.S. employer has a temporary need for the employees services in a qualifying TN visa profession. A TN Visas is most commonly renewed in one of the following ways: (1) TN visa renewal by mail through Form I-129 with USCIS, or (2) TN visa renewal at a U.S. Port of Entry Richards and Jurusik TN visa lawyers have 20+ years of combined experience helping Canadian and Mexican citizens to obtain new TN visas, TN visa renewals and TN visa extensions.
If you have questions about how to renew a TN visa, we can help.
How Do you renew a TN Visa?
If your TN visa is about to expire, there are two (2) main options to consider when renewing your TN visa:
- TN Visa Renewal via Form I-129 – If you are renewing your TN visa and will continue to work for the same employer, under the same TN profession, your TN visa can be renewed by filing Form I-129 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to the expiration of your current TN visa. This option allows current TN visa holders that do not have a change in employment the convenience of renewing through a service center. This eliminates the need to travel to a port of entry to seek a renewal. The down side to renewing a TN visa by filing Form I-129 is a delayed response and USCIS filing fees. TN visa renewals can take several months to process. The renewal process can be reduced to as little as 15 days by filing Form I-907 for premium processing fee with USCIS.
- TN Visa Renewal at a Port of Entry – The option to renew, extend or obtain a new TN visa is always available at a port of entry. When applying for a TN visa renewal at a port of entry, updated supporting evidence used to obtain the initial TN visa must be submitted along with a new offer letter from the employer. Applications for TN visa renewals are given the same amount of scrutiny as initial TN visa applications. It is important that the TN visa renewal application be prepared with the same attention to detail as the initial application. Renewing at a port of entry offers the convenience of a same day decision and avoids USCIS filing fees.
How Many Times Can you Renew a TN Visa?
You can renew your TN visa status up to six (6) months before it expires by mail with USCIS or up to 10 days in advance of your new start date in person at a Port of Entry. A TN visa has a validity of one (10 days and up to three (3) years at a time and is renewable for an unlimited amount of times. It’s important that your application for a TN Visa renewal be as properly prepared as your initial TN Visa application. During the TN Visa renewal process, you must be prepared to properly present the following:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship
- A properly written offer letter from a U.S. employer
- Supporting evidence to prove you qualify for the TN Visa profession
- Proof of non-immigrant intent and permanent ties to your home country
How do you renew a TN Visa, need help?
Depending on the proximity of your current employment to a U.S. port of entry, the time you are willing to invest in the renewal process and your budget, renewal preference can vary. We are experienced in obtaining TN visa renewals for our clients no matter which situation they may find themselves in. We have successfully helped many Canadian citizens obtain their initial TN status, TN visa extensions, TN visa status renewals and TN visa status re-application after denials. Contact us today for a free assessment of your TN Visa qualifications.