Is a Visa Screen required if I was educated in the US?
YES. Even if you were educated and licensed in the United States you will still need a valid visa screen before you can obtain TN visa status under any of the following professions:
- TN Visa Registered Nurse
- TN Visa Physical Therapist
- TN Visa Occupational Therapist
- TN Visa Medical Technician/Technologist
Visa Screen for foreign health care workers A foreign worker who seeks to enter the United States for the purpose of performing labor as a health care worker, other than a physician, is inadmissible unless the alien presents a certificate from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS), or an equivalent independent credentialing organization approved by the Attorney General in consultation with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), verifying that:
- The alien’s education, training, license, and experience meet all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements for admission into the United States under the classification specified in the application; are comparable with that required for an American health care worker of the same type; are authentic; and, in the case of a license, unencumbered;
- The alien has the level of competence in oral and written English considered by the Secretary of HHS, in consultation with the Secretary of Education, to be appropriate for health care work of the kind in which the alien will be engaged, as shown by an appropriate score on one or more nationally recognized, commercially available, standardized assessments of the applicant’s ability to speak and write English; and
- If a majority of States licensing the profession in which the alien intends to work recognize a test predicting an applicant’s success on the profession’s licensing or certification examination, the alien has passed such a test, or has passed such an examination.
You should seek the advice from a TN Visa Lawyer for clarification and guidance on TN visa requirements before you apply for your TN visa. Each case is unique and your individual qualifications and circumstances must be taken into account before you attempt the TN visa application process.