Re-Entry Permits

At Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law, we only handle legal matters that fall under the Immigration and Nationality Laws of the United States. Our specialized practice has allowed us to gain particular expertise with the preparation, filing and successful adjudication of Reentry Permits, USCIS Form I-131, for U.S. Permanent Residents (green card holders). No matter your need for a reentry permit, we can help you comply with Form I-131 instructions, reentry permit requirements, and enable you to successfully obtain a reentry permit. As our client you will benefit from our extensive experience, affordable flat fee, and accessibility.

Form I-131 Overview

The most common use of Form I-131 is for Re-entry permits. Re-entry Permits are most commonly applied for by U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) who have plans to be outside the United States for longer than one (1) year but not to exceed two (2) years. In addition, you must have the intent to maintain and not abandon your residence within the United States. A re-entry permit is proof of your intent to return to your U.S. residence after a temporary stay outside the United States.

Duration of a Re-Entry Permit

A reentry permit, Form I-131, is commonly given for a one (1) to two (2) year period and is applied for from within the United States.

Common Reasons for Reentry Permits

Common reasons for obtaining a reentry permit as a U.S. permanent resident are:

1. Business or employment abroad
2. Long-term vacation abroad
3. Medical reasons
4. Death or illness in the family
5. Any other valid reason

Before a re-entry permit will be approved USCIS takes several factors into consideration, such as:

  • Countries to be visited
  • Prior re-entry permits
  • The circumstances of the travel outside the United States

It is recommended that you obtain a reentry permit if you have plans to be outside the United States for greater than one (1) year, for any reason. Unfortunately, not all future travel and circumstances can be anticipated. Although a re-entry permit may be sent to a consulate or embassy abroad for pick-up, it must be applied for from within the United States. If you are a U.S. permanent resident and have questions about obtaining a re-entry permit, you must apply prior to leaving the United States. Contact us today for an assessment in order to determine if a re-entry permit is required for your situation.

COVID: We Are Open Offering Service In-Person or Virtual via Phone/Video