Registration of U.S. Citizen Born Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) by using U.S. Department of State Form DS-2029. Form DS-2029 is used to document that the child is a U.S. citizen born abroad. Form DS-2029 must be filed before the child turns 16. In most cases Form DS-2029 can be filed along with a U.S. Passport application.

Upon review, if the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name. The CRBA is proof of U.S. Citizenship.

If you are a U.S. citizen parent to a child born abroad, your child may qualify for a CRBA. Contact Us Today for help in obtaining a CRBA.

COVID: We Are Open Offering Service In-Person or Virtual via Phone/Video