A Scientific Technician/Technologist applies the theories and principles of mathematics and science to help develop, invent and improve processes or products, but with tasks more practically-oriented than the work of scientists. This professional sets up, operates and maintains laboratory instruments, makes observations, monitors experiments and calculates results to develop conclusions.
Aside from performing routine tasks, a Scientific Technician/Technologist develops and adapts laboratory procedures under the direction of a scientist, to obtain the best outcome, interpret data, and recommend solutions to problems. He/she possesses expert knowledge of laboratory equipment to make necessary adjustment of settings easier. A Scientific Technician/Technologist is trained to work in the same principles that the scientists use.
To qualify for a TN Visa as a Scientific Technician/Technologist, the applicant for the TN visa must have earned, and is able to provide proof of the following educational requirements:
- Theoretical knowledge of any of the following disciplines: agricultural sciences, astronomy, biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, or physics; and
- The ability to solve practical problems in any of those disciplines, or the ability to apply principles of any of those disciplines to basic or applied research.
The applicant for a TN visa as a Scientific Technician/Technologist must also provide the additional requirements:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship;
- A detailed support letter from prospective employer;
- Proof of intent to return to his/her permanent residence in Canada at the expiration of temporary TN Visa stay
If the applicant is able to provide evidence of the requirements enumerated above, he/she may qualify for a TN Visa as a Scientific Technician/Technologist.
A qualified Scientific Technician/Technologist can obtain TN Visa Professional status for a maximum of three years. Any extension of the status may be issued for up to three years provided that the individual continues to comply with the requirements for TN Visa professionals. The number of extensions has no limit. However, the professional must continue to demonstrate that his/her employment is temporary in nature, and that his/her NAFTA entry is not used to bypass normal procedures of immigration.