An Insurance Claims Adjuster possesses a combination of training and analytic skills on investigating, analyzing and determining the extent of the insurance company’s liability when it comes to personal, property damage or loss and casualty. An adjuster may need to interview numerous people such as agents, law enforcement officers, medical specialists, expert consultants, claimants or witnesses to collect information and examine several documents.
An Insurance Claims Adjuster calculates benefit payments, approves payment of claims within a certain monetary limit and attempts to come to a settlement with the claimants which may involve negotiation. In case of legal action as a result of failed negotiation, the adjuster needs to work with attorneys on behalf of the insurance company that he/she works for. Other potential job titles of an Insurance Claims Adjuster are Claims Adjuster, Claims Representative, Claims Analyst, Claims Examiner, Claim Representative, Claims Specialist, Independent Insurance Adjuster, General Adjuster, Field Liability Generalist and Litigation Claim Representative.
To qualify for TN Insurance Claims Adjuster non-immigrant status, the applicant for Insurance Claims Adjuster profession must have earned, and is able to provide proof of the following educational requirements:
- Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree and successful completion of training in the appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims; OR
- Three years experience in claims adjustment and successful completion of training in the appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims.
The applicant for TN Insurance Claims Adjuster profession must also provide the additional requirements:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship;
- A detailed letter from prospective employer;
- Proof of intent to return to his/her permanent residence in Canada at the expiration of the temporary TN stay
If the applicant is able to provide evidence of the requirements enumerated above, he/she may qualify for TN Insurance Claims Adjuster professional status.
A qualified Insurance Claims Adjuster can obtain TN Professional status for a maximum of three years. Any extension of the status may be issued for up to one year provided that the individual continues to comply with the requirements for TN professionals. The number of extensions has no limit. However, the professional must continue to demonstrate that his/her employment is temporary in nature, and that his/her NAFTA entry is not used to bypass normal procedures of immigration.